I recently wrote an article for another website that explains why you should not use water that has gone through a water softener to mist or irrigate your plants. The article ended with a brief explanation that a benefit of bypassing the water softener to water the cuttings and plants is that the softener will not have to work as hard and as often. Think about it: ALL the water that passes through the softener gets treated. If this water is being used for misting or irrigation, this is a huge waste of energy, salt to regenerate the beads in the softener, and the large amount of water used during the regeneration process.
So by simply adding a spigot before the water softener, you accomplish the following:
- Reduce the stress on the cuttings because of sodium toxicity
- Reduce the amount of sodium that ultimately ends up in the rooting media, affecting every batch of cuttings that I stick in it
- Reduce the stunting of the cuttings because they can use their energy in growing and not overcoming stress, as well as future batches of cuttings that will use the same media
- Reduce the amount of electricity used treating the water that will be used for misting and irrigation
- Reduce the wear and tear on the water softener itself because it will operate less frequently
- Reduce the amount of salt purchased for the water softener
- Reduce the frequency that the chamber that holds the salt will have to be filled
- Reduce the amount of salt that is being flushed into the environment during the regeneration process because the softener will be regenerating less often
- Reduce the frequency that the whole house filter needs to be changed because the spigot will be installed before it
- Reduce the cost of purchasing the filters for the whole house filter
- Reduce the wear and tear on the filter system because of less frequent changes
I am sure there are more, so be sure to let me know by leaving a comment.
Stay tuned, I will be rewriting my previous article and posting it here for you to learn why you should not use water that has gone through a water softener to mist or irrigate your plants.