What You Need To Start A Plant Propagation Business Part 6

The next item on the list you will need when starting your plant propagation nursery are licenses.

Before starting out, it is a good idea to find out which licenses you will need.  Every state differs on which licenses you need so the following is a basic explanation of two you may be required to get.

Business License

This is the license you most likely will get from your local city or town government. Some states may require you to get a State Business License. This is the license that allows you to run a business from your home or other location. When applying for the license, you may be asked your business name and what type of business you will be operating. Be sure to do a little homework before selecting a business name, you do not want to choose a name that is already in use because it may cause confusion or may be trademarked. For a new business, there are a few choices when it comes to business licensing unless you want to incorporate. The choices are Sole Proprietorship, a Limited Liability Company, or LLC, or a Partnership. Be sure to choose the one that best fits your company.

Visit the Small Business Administration website for more information on business licenses including state by state requirements.

Nursery License

Another license you most likely will need is a nursery license. This license allows you to operate your plant propagation nursery and ensures you are following the guidelines for pest control, nursery standards, and other requirements. The National Plant Board website goes into more detail about licensing so be sure to visit to learn more.

Another reason for a Nursery License is to provide your State with information about your nursery which is used to schedule an inspection by your State Agricultural Inspector. We will go into more detail about that in the next article.


What You Need To Start A Plant Propagation Business Part 6 — 1 Comment

  1. Pingback: Electronic leaves for plant propagation | Getmisting.com